investor visa applicationWhat Is an E-2 Visa? How do You Renew?

An E-2 visa is a nonimmigrant visa for investors. You can renew your E-2 visa through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services or USCIS in the United States by mail. First, you must file the Form I-129 with the E supplements. This is the petition for a nonimmigrant worker. Your family members will need to file the Form I-539 for the purpose of extending their stay in the country.

The USCIS will also need your arrival and departure record, your original I-797 and a copy of your passport that contains your current E-2 visa. You will also need to submit a letter that explains the reason you need an extension. In addition to that, you must submit copies of your personal or business tax returns for the past two years and other relevant supporting documents showing that your business has been in operation and you are meeting the E-2 requirements.

How Do You Renew through the Consulate?

Renew your E-2 visa through the consulate is very similar to the first time you obtained your E-2 visa. You should prepare as fully as possible even though the consulate’s website may have a shortened checklist. It’s always better to be fully and even over prepared when you are facing a consular officer to justify why you should be given another visa to return to the U.S. Most consulates will have a list of the documents they want and in the order they want it posted on the website. Follow the checklist closely. In generally, you will need the following:

• Submit the DS-160 to the state department.
• Pay the $205 fee.
• Fill out the DS-156E and submit the documents.
• Show documents that prove you are still eligible for the E-2 visa.
• Interview with a consulate official.

Requirements for the E-2 Visa

You need to present evidence that you qualify for the E-2 visa whether you renew through USCIS or the consulate, and they are the following:

• Your business is not marginal.
• You obtained the funds invested in the business in a legal manner.
• The business is at risk of losing part or all of your money.
• Your investment in a business in the U.S. was substantial, and your investment is still with the business.

It’s not always easy to meet the requirements, but an immigration attorney Scottsdale AZ will keep you on the right track. Before you embark on either of these strategies, it is a good idea to visit an immigration attorney Scottsdale. An Immigration Attorney Scottsdale, AZ from the Law Office of Jared Leung will make sure that you take the correct steps to have your E-2 visa renewed. Contact us today.

Award Award Award Award